Thursday, February 19, 2015

Space Engineers

Space Engineers is a simple, yet complicated game that puts you in deep space in charge of your destiny.

When I first started playing Space Engineers it was a little overwhelming to me, but this isn’t a bad thing.  I was really excited to see just how much I could do.  At the time I had no idea what was possible, I thought it was a “Minecraft in space” type game.  Well, saying that is just flat out wrong.  It is much more.

After playing the game for a short time I got more familiar with the controls and basics of how the game works.  I started my adventures in Survival mode because I do enjoy the process of building up a space station and fleet of ships from scratch.  This can be a daunting task at first, as Space Engineers has many components, and ores to be mined in order to get the materials needed to get started.

In the beginning you need to get ores that can be refined into ingots which in turn you use to assemble parts and components to further build your ships and stations.  Mining with the player held hand drill is a slow and tedious process, but that’s just until you can build a mining ship, or using one of the games many preset “worlds” you can start with a ship to use.  Check out this quick clip to see the huge difference in mining speed.



Not only is mining with a ship much faster, but cutting through an asteroid like a hot knife through butter a lot of fun.

In my time playing I enjoyed the process of getting ores, refining, and then taking the materials and building neat things.  I did begin to realize though that if you are learning the game, and wanted to experiment with building ideas it is best to start in creative mode.  Save survival for when you know a bit more and have a plan on what you’d like to do.

Checking out the Steam Workshop for SE showed me just how much I need to practice!  There are some amazing looking creations there and of course the workshop is completely integrated into the game, which is nice. 

So, besides simply building there is more in this game that I have yet to be good at, this includes combat, and more sophisticated designs made from programmable terminals and control panels plus more.

I really enjoy this game and will continue playing for some time to come.
I recommend this game to anyone that likes to build and explore their creative side.  There is a lot to do, and with the developers continuing dedication and support I think this is a wise purchase that you will not regret.





Space Engineers is in active development and frequently updated with new features, and of course bug fixes as needed.

I found the game to be a little overwhelming in the beginning, however once I picked up the basics of how things work, I must say the learning curve is definitely worth it!

Space Engineers offers a lot of options and I have only touched the surface of what can be done.  This is the kind of game that will be around for a long time, and with the Steam Workshop support, and completely programmable block features, the stars are the limit of what is possible.


I highly recommend this game to anyone that loves sandbox games, and in particular people that enjoy Space games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment